Wednesday 16 August 2017

sew stitch snap SHARE #10

Hello again, time for another fortnightly 'Sew, Stitch, Snap, SHARE' linkup.

First up, what's happening here in my sewing room? Well, I've finished stitching down the binding on my 'queen of the may' quilt . . .


I've always loved the idea of making a quilt on a really bright background. So glad I finally did, even though it was a bit out of my comfort zone! {For inspiration details & lots of progress pics follow all the links here}


I've also been sewing up 9patch blocks this week. What’s not to love about a 9patch? Such a great way to turn my forgotten bundle of 3 1/2" strips into something pretty. And, it’s really simple to piece - 9 squares of the same-sized fabrics. It didn't take me too long before I had a dozen or so more to add to my vintage 9patch quilt


I played with the layout a little, and I would like to be able to say there was some design process thing-y happening here, but there wasn't!
Nothing matched nicely- like for instance, alternating light and dark centres to create a checkerboard effect. Nor could I use the simple alternating 4/5 block pattern using the solid fabrics as my focus, as I had unintentionally made up many more blocks where there were 4 plains with 5 prints. So there is no pattern, I simply joined them all up together almost as they came off my pile.



- my all -time favourite Kaffe fabric

- adding in a few Denyse Schmidt fabrics helped create that gentle vintage-style warmth.

 
Quilt top stats:
scrappy vintage 9patch 
using 3 1/2" assorted strips of forgotten fabric!
quilt measures 135cms x 155cms
I'm keen to give this another go and perhaps plan my plains & prints properly.
{see here for earlier pics}

And what are you working on right now?
Whatever you're sewing or stitching, you can link it up here.

Just follow these simple guidelines:

1. Link up from any post from the past week that features something you have been sewing or stitching. You can write as much or as little about your project as you like, or simply let your photos do the talking.
2. Somewhere in your post, please link back to this post.
3. Please comment on a couple of the other Sew, Stitch, Snap, SHARE links - its fun to receive comments from new people, and we are trying to encourage people to read blogs and to keep blogging. Hope you find some new inspiration too!


Thanks for joining us, Julie & Linda



17 comments:

Leeanne said...

Linda the rich blue plaid looks fabulous! Wow you are zipping along with your nine patch quilt! Thanks for the link up.

audrey said...

Your quilt is beautiful! The bright, happy colors have so much energy. And I adore your new project. It really does have a gentle, vintage vibe. Will have to remember the combination of great prints and various solids.

pandchintz said...

You've really achieved that vintage vibe, Linda, it looks fab! Love your Queen of the May too - such glorious colours.

Julie said...

I hope you are keeping Queen of the May. Your 9 patch definitely has a vintage scrap happy feel to it.

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

love both the quilts, I always love a nine patch too - they can be really modern or vintage and love them all

somethingrosemade14@blogspot.com said...

I am loving your post today, your Queen of May quilt is stunning and quite an accomplishment and your nine patch quilt turned out quite lovely. I love that you used forgotten fabric which I have quite a bit of or should I say neglected.

Quiltdivajulie said...

Your scrappy nine patch is wonderful! What a great mix of fabrics and colors. You already know that I adore your Queen of May quilt.

Janie said...

I like that name, 'Queen of the May'.
Perfect name, May is a colorful happy month and your
Quilt is just that!

Rene' said...

Beautiful projects here! Love the bright background of your Queen of May quilt. I like how you combined all the nine patch blocks. I have a collection of 36 patch blocks that I may have to assemble as you did...

Ann said...

That Queen of the May block is delicious. It's on my list now. Thanks for sharing your fabulous quilt.

Linda @ kokaquilts said...

Thank you Julie.
I’ve been ‘spring cleaning’ in the sewing room this past week or so and getting terribly sidetracked of course, hence the 'forgotten' fabrics and the 9patch.
Which was so not on the ‘to do’ list!
There’s something still really appealing about that vintage-y look isn’t there?
Thanks for stopping by, L

Linda said...

The 9 Patches look great sewn together, they didn't need sashing after all. Lovely gentle colours.

Schulz Family said...

Your queen quilt looks AMAZING

Mystic Quilter said...

Queen of the May looks so happy with her binding on!! Love the nine patch Linda, can't beat them and I like that you mixed things up rather than going with a set plan.

Deb said...

Just loving all of the beautiful bright colours.

Magpie Sue said...

I'm here from Tall Tales from Chiconia's Scrap Happy day. I love your Queen of the May quilt! I also want to do a bright, happy, yellow background quilt. Dresden circles are not for me however. ;-) Your 9 Patch turned out happy too. I've run into that dilemma of too many X's and not enough O's to make a straightforward checkerboard effect. You made it work to your advantage though. Well done!

dutchcomfort said...

Whenevert I visit your blog it’s guaranteed that I enter a world of colour and gorgeous prints! You make such wonderful quilts!